Poisons in your medicine cabinet

Apr 19, 2022 | 0 comments

Poisons in your medicine cabinet

The dangers of human medicines

Dogs aren’t human beings and should not be treated with human medication unless a vet expert prescribes it. The likelihood of dogs coming into contact with come into contact with human medicines if they are not in a cabinet. The drugs should not only be kept away from your pet when they are not utilized but also remember to take away all boxes of tablets right after the use. Don’t leave tablets on tables while getting drinks to rinse them.

Ibuprofen, along with other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs)

NSAIDs are commonly used to control pain and inflammation in dogs and humans alike. Human NSAIDs include ibuprofen, diclofenac, naproxen, and diclofenac. They differ from those given to dogs and could cause them to be extremely sick. If they overdose, human NSAIDs (and dog NSAIDs) affect the dog’s ability to safeguard their gut. This could cause severe stomach upsets. Ulcers can develop inside their bellies, leading to blood in stools and vomiting. Kidney failure is also a possibility and can be delayed for several days. Some signs of kidney disease include a lack of urination or an increase in thirst. Some NSAIDs can cause symptoms.

Oral contraceptives

These tablets are small and among the drugs that dogs consume the most. The good news is that oral contraceptives have low toxicity, and even large quantities are not likely to cause significant issues besides the possibility of a mild stomach upset. Some oral contraceptives could temporarily alter the oestrus of bites.

Paracetamol

The widely-used pain medication can initially trigger vomiting and brown gums. Increased heartbeat rates, modifications in breathing rate, and swelling on the paws and face may also start a delay in the liver’s failure, which may not manifest for a few days.

Read Also:  Bloat in dogs(gastric torsion)

Paracetamol is also found in various prescription medications when combined with other medicines.

Psoriasis creams

The creams typically have vitamin D-derived substances that can be very harmful to dogs. Dogs can be poisoned when they lick off the recently applied creams from their owner but can also chew or lick the cream tube. These medications increase the absorption of calcium out of the bone and boost levels of calcium absorption through the stomach. This results in hypercalcemia, which increases calcium levels in the blood. When calcium levels increase, it could trigger muscle spasms, fit kidney problems, and cause the gut and the lungs to be calcified. It can be apparent after 6 hours. However, they may be delayed. Signs could be accompanied by weakness, vomiting profusely and diarrhea, and increased thirst.

Other human poisons that are toxic

Other items commonly found in medicine cabinets that could cause harm to your dog include:

  • antidepressants
  • aspirin
  • blood pressure medications
  • diabetes medications
  • heart medications
  • sleep aids

Tips for how to protect your home from poison

Many people carry their medications in bags they frequently use, i.e., backpacks or handbags. When you’re at home, be sure to keep them out of your pet’s reach. A curious dog that comes across the contents of a box of tablets and foil packaging, or even the medication bottle, might be tempted to play with the item.

What should you do if you believe your dog has been poisoned?

If you suspect that your dog might have consumed, touched, or inhaled something that isn’t appropriate, talk immediately with your veterinarian.

Read Also:  Essential Oils, Aromatherapy & Dogs: What You should Know

Do not attempt to create a situation that makes your dog sick. If you do, it could create other problems and hurt your pet.

Things to share with your vet

In the event of an emergency, you can aid your veterinarian practice in making an informed decision about the need for your dog to be handled by them and if it is the most effective treatment. When you are able, you should supply your veterinarian with the following details:

  • What poisons do you believe your dog was in contact with (i.e., chocolate, ibuprofen, etc.). Include product names as well as lists of ingredient lists, if pertinent.
  • How much exposure they could be exposed to (i.e., 500mg, 500ml, one tablet, etc., even approximations may help)
  • Your dog was exposed to poison (i.e., five minutes, five hours, or five days in the past)
  • If yes, your dog is sick, and the clinical manifestations have been observed.

It’s much simpler for vets to take care of a dog that has been poisoned when treated earlier instead of later. Don’t wait until your dog gets sick before calling your vet for assistance if you’re in doubt.

What do you need to bring with you to the vet?

If you must take your dog to the veterinarian, ensure you bring any appropriate packaging or a small sample of poison, e.g., plants or fungi. Make sure you are secure and will not be poisoned later on.

Recommended Articles

Pin It on Pinterest