Christmas foods – what not to give dogs at Christmas

Jun 1, 2022 | 4 comments

what not to give dogs at Christmas

Many people celebrate Christmas by sharing delicious and mouthwatering food with their family and friends. Even though your dog is a loved one, it can be hazardous for your dog to share certain human foods with them.

Dogs are 75% more likely to have their food poisoned in December than any other month.

A summary of Christmas food not to be given to dogs

Dogs can be exposed to a variety of Christmas foods that are popular. These are:

  • Christmas cookies, mince pies, and Christmas pudding
  • Garlic and onion stuffing
  • Other food, such as nuts, blue cheese, and fatty and salty meals,

Keep your dog safe at Christmas. Please keep your dog safe from dangerous foods and ensure they don’t eat them.

You might consider giving your dog a Christmas dinner. Here are some tips and hints to help you do it safely

Chocolate

We all consume more chocolate around Christmas than at any other time of year. Therefore, it’s not surprising that chocolate poisoning is the leading cause of death in dogs.

Tips and Hints to Keep Your Dog Safe from Chocolate

Make sure your dog doesn’t get any chocolate during the Christmas season. This includes:

  • Christmas tree
  • Advent calendars
  • Christmas Day Chocolate Boxes
  • Christmas tree with wrapped chocolatey gifts

Even though chocolate wrappers aren’t poisonous, they can cause obstructions if consumed. An obstacle can cause vomiting, lethargy, difficulty having a poo, or trouble getting your dog to poo. This can be dangerous and require surgery.

My dog ate chocolate. What should I do?

Your vet should be contacted immediately. You may need to bring your dog to the vet directly if they are ill. It is good to have someone call the vet to inform them of your situation. This will allow them to be prepared and know what to expect.

Read Also:  Can dogs eat chicken heads (Raw or Cooked)?

You can help your vet determine how severe the condition is by looking for any packaging containing information such as how much was eaten, how much chocolate was consumed, and what kind of chocolate it had (dark or plain chocolate, milk or white). ).

Don’t try to make your dog sick. This can sometimes make things worse.

Learn more about chocolate poisoning

Christmas cookies, mince pies, and Christmas pudding

These festive treats include dried grapes in the form of raisins, currants, or sultanas. Grapes and their dried forms are toxic to dogs. It is believed that dried grapes are even more harmful than fresh ones.

Other Christmassy dried fruits dangers:

  • Stollen
  • Chocolate-covered raisins
  • Fruit cake

How toxic are raisins and sultanas to dogs?

We don’t know why these fruits are poisonous for dogs or how toxic they are. Some dogs have not had any adverse effects from large amounts of this fruit, while others have experienced severe side effects.

What signs should you look out for in case of sultana or raisin poisoning?

These fruits can also cause vomiting and diarrhea. Kidney failure can be delayed for up to 24 hours. A decrease in urine production decreased thirst, and dullness may be signs of kidney disease. It is crucial to get treatment quickly. Contact your vet immediately if your dog eats more than you have allowed.

My dog had Christmas pudding/a mince pie/Christmas cake – what should we do?

Grapes in any amount, or dried versions (raisins, sultanas, currants, or currants), can potentially cause harm to your dog. Get in touch with your vet immediately. Your vet may ask that you bring your dog to the clinic. Don’t make your dog sick. This can sometimes make it worse.

Read Also:  The Best 300+ Male/Boy Dog Names in Alphabetic Order

My dog ate raisins/sultanas some time ago. He is now fine.

Sometimes, the effects of potentially toxic fruits can be delayed for several days. Even if your dog appears to be doing well, it’s best to consult your vet.

Onion and Sage Stuffing

Alliums include onions, garlic, shallots, chives, and allium family members. They are all used in Christmas stuffing. These plants contain a substance that can cause anemia in dogs and damage their red blood cells.

What signs are there of onion poisoning?

Although signs may not appear for several days, they can include feeling sick, diarrhea, or abdominal pain. They may also be tired, weak, sleepy, and sometimes have rapid breathing. Avoid onion stuffing, gravies made with onions, and any other allium-based foods during Christmas.

My dog ate onion stuffing. What should I do?

Your vet should be contacted if your dog has consumed onions or any other allium family members. Do not attempt to make your dog sick. This can make it worse. Sometimes signs of poisoning may be delayed, so it is worth calling your vet even if your dog appears fine.

Do you want to give your dog a Christmas dinner or roast dinner?

It’s great to share your Christmas dinner with your dog.

Many traditional Christmas foods are toxic for dogs. They are too fattening or too salty. If you don’t want a treat that makes your dog feel sick or worse, send them to the vet.

Get some tips and hints on safely treating your dog at Christmas.

  • It would help if you only give your dog a small portion of the food you have prepared. Unfamiliar foods may cause upset stomachs or uncomfortable wind.
  • To help them balance their daily calories, you should reduce the number of treats they receive.
  • You should not give your dog too many treats or food. Even though it’s Christmas, giving your dog too much food can be dangerous, especially if they aren’t exercised within the first few hours.
Read Also:  Can Dogs Eat Apple Peels?

Learn more about a healthy treat that you can give your dog.

What should you do if your dog eats something it shouldn’t?

Tell your vet immediately if your dog has eaten, touched, or inhaled anything that isn’t supposed to be there.

Do not try to make your dog sick. Doing this could lead to other problems that may cause injury to your dog.

What to tell your vet

You can help your veterinarian practice decide if your dog should be treated in an emergency. If so, the best course of action. If possible, you should give your veterinarian practice information about:

  • Which poison do you believe your dog has been exposed to (e.g., chocolate, ibuprofen, etc.). If applicable, include product names or lists of ingredients.
  • What they might have been exposed to (i.e., 500mg, 500ml, one tablet, etc., even approximations may help)
  • Your dog was poisoned (i.e., Five minutes, five hours, or five days ago.
  • What are the clinical signs and symptoms of your dog being unwell?

A vet will be more likely to treat a sick dog sooner than later. Do not wait for your dog’s illness to worsen before calling for help.

Recommended Articles

Pin It on Pinterest